4a Nov 5 - Senses in Nature Observation Walk
Practice using your senses to explore the natural and human world around you.
- Prepare a piece of paper or journal to write down your observations. You could make a chart with a section for each sense for recording.
- Choose a location to walk/sit and use your senses to observe. You could spend more time walking or sitting to use your senses. This could be in a park, at a beach, in your backyard etc.
- Follow the path you planned for your walk and/or create a spot to sit in nature. Think about spending 20+ minutes observing and recording what life you see, hear, smell, and touch around you.
- Record your observations on nature around you on your paper or in your journal.
- Continue to walk and/or sit in nature but this time use your senses to observe the influence of humans nearby.
- Record your observations on the influence of humans around you on your paper or in your journal.
- Review and reflect on your observations and identifications.
- Express how you felt connected from nature and/or human influences you sensed.
- Post your reflection as a thread post within the forum on the online classroom and explore other participants connections. (Please title your discussion post 'Name - Senses in Nature')
- Make a table comparing and contrasting your observations of nature vs. human influences you sensed.
- Try identifying any animal sounds you hear!
- Write a poem, draw, paint or use another creative outlet to express your experience exploring this world through your senses.
- Spend some time practicing meditation and/or relaxing breathing in nature.
- Practice listening and observation skills.
- Use your senses to observe the human impacts around you.
- Share/express personal connection/impacts on nature.
Continue to 5a Nov 12 - Exploring Community Science »