2a Oct 22 - Observation & Cleanup Walk
Build awareness of human impacts on nature in your community through a litter cleanup and nature walk.
- Download the Litterati app and make yourself familiar with the app’s functions.
- Collect materials: phone/tablet, Litteroti app (or data card), gloves, garbage bag/bucket.
- If not using the Litterati app, record litter found on a shoreline cleanup form. (If not using Litterati app. print out a GCSC litter data card found under community resources or in this activities resources)
- Pick a location for your cleanup walk. Think about spending 20+ minutes observing and cleaning up litter.
- Explore your community’s impact on the nature around you while you walk.
- Keep an eye out for pieces of “safe” litter as you walk.
- Record litter in Litterati app or data card and collect in your bag/bucket.
- Once home, dispose of litter safely into the appropriate bins.
- Reflect on your observations and clean up records. Express what you learned/felt in writing, haiku, or art.
- Post your findings/reflection as a blog post and explore others’ connections (title your post 'name - Observation & Cleanup Walk').
- Explore the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup website and see if there are any cleanups hosted near you soon! Or think about planning your own cleanup to do with friends/family!
- Perform a litter cleanup and record in Litterati.
- Observe human impacts in your home community.
- Share/express personal connection/impacts on nature.
Continue to 2b Oct 22 - Waste Audit »
- Data Card - Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup (GCSC) Print out and record your litter collected with tally marks during your walk.
- Observation & Cleanup Walk Activity Printout