Ocean Wise Film Forum
What: A public screening of an ocean-themed documentary film followed by a discussion with experts.
Why: Improve the public’s ocean literacy and emotional connection to our oceans
Who: Adults and youth without advanced scientific training
Where: Relevant institutions and organizations around the world
How: contact email@example.com about hosting a Film Forum event.
Ocean Matters Film Forum is a global initiative that offers participants an opportunity to further their knowledge of ocean health, improve their ocean literacy and explore the relevant issues of our time. Each Film Forum is a public event, which screens critically acclimated ocean-themed documentary films, followed by discussion about issues raised in the movie with relevant experts, such as biologists, photographers, filmmakers, explorers, athletes and chefs.
1.Into The Gyre
Into the Gyre is a 44-minute documentary about a groundbreaking expedition to study the location, extent and effect of plastic pollution in the North Atlantic Gyre. Thirty-four volunteer researchers, scientists and sailors participated in this five-week expedition to the Sargasso Sea, east of Bermuda. Sailing on the 135-tall ship
Corwith Cramer, operated by the Sea Education Association (SEA), Into the Gyre follows the team as they collect, count, and archive the plastic they find in the gyre. Along the way, the film examines the history of plastic, the adverse effects it is causing in the ocean, and possible solutions to this problem.
Watch The Trailer
2. Sonic Sea
Sonic Sea is a 60-minute documentary about the impact of industrial and military ocean noise on whales and other marine life. It tells the story of a former U.S. Navy officer who solved a tragic mystery and changed forever the way we understand our impact on the ocean.
The film is narrated by Rachel McAdams and features Sting, in addition to the renowned ocean experts Dr. Sylvia Earle, Dr. Paul Spong, Dr. Christopher Clark and Jean-Michel Cousteau.
Sonic Sea was produced by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and Imaginary Forces in association with the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) and Diamond Docs.
Watch The Trailer
Become an Ocean Champion... Host a Film Forum
1. Decide on a movie. Sonic Sea or Into The Gyre
2. Complete this form.
3. Find an appropriate location to screen the movie. The room must have a screen or projector and be large enough for at least 50 people.
4. Book the location at least two months in advance.
5. Let Ruth know what date you have booked
6. Ruth will help you find one or two experts to speak after the movie, either via skype or in-person. Experts can either attend in person if they are local, or attend virtually via video link.
7. Set up a webpage so people can register for the event, such as EventBrite. There is no charge to use EventBrite if your tickets are free.
8. Market your event (event description, web page, flyers, twitter, Facebook, email invites)
9. Ensure you have a moderator (for example, this could be you!)
Ocean Wise has already paid screening costs for the movies, but you are responsible for any costs associated with room rental.
For inquiries on hosting a Film Forum please contact
Continue to Previous Livestream Events »