9: Unsustainable resource extraction in the oceans: documentary and discussion
This national call is intended to demonstrate the listed learning objectives under climate change of the ocean literacy theories:
- · 2: The ocean made the earth habitable
- · 6: Oceans and humans are inextricably connected
- · 7: The ocean is largely unexplored
It also meets the following sustainable development goals:
- · 11: Sustainable cities and communities
- · 12: Responsible consumption and production
- · 14: Life below water
And the following biodiversity convention goals:
- · 1: understand values
- · 2: mainstream biodiversity
- · 6: sustainable fisheries
- · 12: prevent extinction
- · 19: improve knowledge
Our four mentors Jennifer, Samantha, Zihan and Marilie facilitated a talk on unsustainable resource extraction in the oceans. We watched the Planet Ocean documentary from 37:45 - 1:00:15.
During the discussion, St. Lawrence cohort participants touched on the following topics:
- How do we employ people in the resource harvesting industry while ensuring sustainability?
- How do we reduce food waste?
- What new technology is there in resource extraction?
- How do we best make policies when countries are developing and people have their livelihoods?
- What prompts people to harvest sustainably? Have there been changes to science over the years?
- What choices can we make as consumers?
See the discussion recording herepw: Oceanjan18
Continue to 2020 - Atlantic »