There is something incredibly beautiful and rewarding about being part of a community. Communities provide us with a sense of belonging and allow us to seek comfort in difficult times. Community—or rather, the nurturing of human connection—is our means of survival.
In this section, you will explore different opportunities to support your community and build community resilience while maintaining the standards of physical distancing during these trying times.
Photo Credit: Monica Phung
Opportunity A: Online Skillshare
A Skillshare is an event where people gather to share their skills. A Skillshare can be focused on one specific topic or can be open to people who simply want to share what they know “how to do”. Sharing skills empowers people to learn practical knowledge that may otherwise be inaccessible to all--making learning fun, affordable and accessible.
Interested in hosting an online Skillshare? Here's how:
- Decide which skills you want to learn and/or share
- Find others who want to learn, share, and/or host
- Draft your list of costs, supplies, time, and other needs
- Set a date and create an event online or with a local organization
- Invite friends, post on social media, and talk about the event
Examples of skills:
Opportunity B: Online social gathering
Checking in on your family, friends, colleagues, and community is always important. But during these trying times, it is more important than ever. You may not be able to meet face-to-face, but luckily, there are many social gatherings that can easily be adapted to an online platform.
Here are a few examples to get you started:
- Host an online documentary screening
- Host a Netflix Party
- Host an online book club
- Host an online trivia
Opportunity C: Blog or podcast
In these trying times, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the negativity of the media. What we need instead is a reassuring voice to inspire feelings of positivity, gratitude, and most importantly, hope. Blogs and podcasts are a great opportunity to do just that.
Opportunity D: Be a guest presenter
With children at home, many parents are struggling to keep children engaged in online education. Consider connecting with parents in your community to offer your support.
Here are opportunities to be a guest presenter:
Here are some additional online learning resources for parents:
Overall outcomes of supporting your community:
- Brings people together and builds community resilience
- Draws on the local skills of community to build self-reliance
- Establishes and nurtures connections between youth and elders
- Creates a sense of “can do” and feelings of positivity, empowerment, and hope
Continue to Opportunities with Ocean Wise »