Lecture in Your Community
For this challenge, you will host an ocean themed lecture in your community!
Lectures provide a great opportunity for members of the community to gain insight into a specific topic. It's also a really good opportunity for those that might not often share what they do (ex. scientists) to engage the wider community. Lecture events often end in a Question and Answer period which allows the public to interact directly with ocean experts.
BEFORE YOUR EVENT
- Choose a time, date and location for your event. Be sure to set a timeline for your event (ex. 45 minute to 1 hour lecture followed by a 20-30 minute Q and A)
- Invite a lecturer. Check out the Ocean Wise Community Education page for lecturer ideas. You could ask a scientist, a local non-profit leader, a nature photographer/videographer, an author or other ocean champion (such as yourself!) Be creative!
- Consider hosting a reception after the event to allow audience members to continue the discussion.
- Gather your equipment: Ensure you have the necessary equipment for a presentation (screen, computer, cords, microphone). If hosting a reception after the panel, ensure you have everything you need.
- Set up a webpage so people can register for the event, such as EventBrite.
- Use the Communications Plan Template to develop a communications strategy. Contact the Ocean Bridge Communication Coordinator to connect you with local media outlets.
- Market your event! Invite friends, family and members of the community to attend. Spread the word through social media, and community meetings, or in person.
DURING YOUR EVENT
- Check to make sure your technical equipment is working (microphone, powerpoint etc.)
- Introduce the lecturer, share a Territorial Acknowledgement and enjoy the lecture!
- Facilitate a short Q and A session after the lecture.
- Be active on social media using our hashtags #OceanBridge #LeadersToday and tag @OceanWise @leaderstoday and @SocDevSoc on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
- Thank the lecturer for their time and audience members for attending
AFTER YOUR EVENT
- Share your experience! Tag your service on our Ocean Service Activities map. Take photos and share them on our community space gallery, write a blog or post about the your experience on the discussion board.
Ready to take it to the next level?
Host a monthly lecture series on a variety of topics!
Continue to Walk Around Your Watershed with Your Community »