To help parents manage the new reality of weeks at home with the kids, Ocean Wise Conservation Association has launched a free online ocean literacy resource called Online Oceans, bringing ocean-inspired crafts, activities, DIY videos, livestreamed learning, and more, to families around the world.
Created by Ocean Wise educators, together with animal experts from the Vancouver Aquarium, these captivating resources are designed for kids and youth of all ages to learn the how and why of caring for the ocean, and all the animals in it.
With activities and offerings broken down by age group, a highlight of Online Oceans is the livestreamed learning sessions on topics including: Ocean Plastics, Sharks! and Arctic Adaptations. Livestreams take place multiple times each week and are free to join from the comfort of your own laptop.
Looking for something even more personal and engaging for your family? Why not sign up for a Virtual AquaClass? These personalized sessions allow your kids to meet online with an Ocean Wise educator to dive deeper into learning topics like “Careers in Conservation” or “Reptiles and Amphibians”. Normally reserved for schools – this program is being opened to individual families during school closures. Virtual AquaClasses cost $45 for a 45-minute session, and multiple families can split the cost to take part in a single session, each from their own home computer.
Teachers are also welcome to make use of Online Oceans, too, and will find that many of the resources are curriculum based and perfect to incorporate into their distance education offerings.
Highlights from Online Oceans:
*Content is updated regularly, so check back often.
- · Feed your little piranhas at the Recipe Corner
- · Plastic free glitter and tinted lip balm DIY video tutorials
- · Livestreamed programs on topics like Ocean Plastics and Sharks
- · Links to Vancouver Aquarium live animal web cams
- · Feed the Shark Craft and Animal Colouring Pages
- · Virtual AquaClasses for teens and older kids, privately, or in small groups
- · Curriculum-based Complete Education Kits
Follow @OceanWiseEdu on Twitter for more updates!
Kids 12-and-Under visit the Vancouver Aquarium for free this family day weekend
An offer that will have you happy as a clam this Family Day Weekend!
Family Day Weekend is a chance to spend quality time with your loved ones. What better way than with an exploration of marine life at the Vancouver Aquarium? This Family Day Weekend, the Vancouver Aquarium is offering FREE admission to kids 12-and-under from Saturday, February 15th to Monday, February 17th
"This year we are extending our free kids 12-and-under offer over the entire Family Day long weekend" says Karen Howe, Director of Visitor Experience at the Vancouver Aquarium. "We invite families from near and far to join us over the Family Day Weekend to meet our 60,000 incredible aquatic creatures, amazing staff and volunteers and learn why it's important to protect our oceans."
You can dive into the following Family Day Programs:
- § Take an imaginary underwater journey during Story Time at 10:45 a.m. in the Pacific Canada Pavilion. Wetsuit not required.
- § Get to know the Aquarium’s most armoured animals with Turtle Talks at 11:30 a.m. in the Tropic Zone.
- § Flock together for the Meet a Penguin program at 2:15 p.m. in the Teck Engagement Gallery and get to know these fascinating birds.
- § Catch a screening of the exhilarating Reef Reborn: A 4D Experience in the 4-D theatre every 30 minutes starting at 11:45 a.m.
For more details on daily schedules, click here.
Family Day Weekend at the Vancouver Aquarium, an Ocean Wise initiative
From Saturday, February 15 to Monday, February 17, 2020, children 12-and-under receive FREE* entry to the Vancouver Aquarium.*Free ticket offer must be redeemed at the Admissions Window. Promo tickets are not available online or at the kiosks. Cannot combine with any other offer. Child must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 4 children per adult.
Date: February 15 – 17, 2020 (Saturday, Sunday and Monday)
Time: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Where: Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park (845 Avison Way)
Cost: Adult: $40 | Senior / Student: $32 | Child (0 -12): FREE
For more information: https://vanaqua.org/familyday