At Ocean Wise, our mission is to inspire the global community to become Ocean Wise by increasing its understanding, wonder and appreciation for our oceans. Our Children & Youth Programs are immersive ocean education experiences that foster love for our oceans through fun and interactive activities, engaging over 9,000 children, youth and families in marine science annually.
Through our programs, we inspire the next generation of leaders to develop concern for the environment by experiencing awe and wonder as a child.
AquaCamps: offer your children a fun, educational experience never to be forgotten. Our camps are filled with hands-on activities, animal observations, crafts and time to run around outside to fully engage your children in an environment that encourages active learning. Children will learn about local and exotic animals, life cycles, food webs, adaptations, ecosystems and sustainability. Register online!
Junior Biologist Club: explore the animals, science, and research that happen behind the scenes at the Vancouver Aquarium and in ocean science research. Get ready to dive into a series of adventures to gain a better understanding of our aquatic planet, the technological innovation in Aquarium research and what we need to do to better protect our oceans. Register today!
AquaTots: Hands-on, unique, sensory engaging activities will immerse you and your young child in ocean sciences through discovery, arts and crafts, songs, games and gallery exploration. Discover the amazing wonders of the ocean in a safe, nurturing environment with our Ocean Wise educators, making new friends – children and animals alike!
For more information, please email [email protected] or call 604-659-3493.
Have a Splash of a Birthday: You’ll touch marine invertebrates like squishy sea cucumbers, sticky anemones and prickly sea urchins in our Wet Lab before heading behind the scenes for a visit through our Jellyfish hallway. As an added bonus, the birthday child will be named an Honorary Aquarist and will get to feed our fish in the two-story Strait of Georgia Pacific Canada Pavilion, one of the Aquarium's largest exhibits.
For more information, please email [email protected] or call - 604-659-3504.
Spend an Incredible Evening at the Aquarium: Choose one of five programs for your group to explore through hands-on, inquiry based activities, experiments and exploration. Get behind the scenes to better understand Aquarium operations, and dive into topics like climate change, resource extraction, pollution and habitat destruction while fully engaging your senses, mind and wonder.
For more information, please email [email protected] or call 604-659-3504.
Welcome back to AquaCamps this summer!
Below is some important information about the summer.
NEW PARENT HANDBOOK
Attached you will find a brand new parent handbook, which outlines important details about your camp experience next week. All parents & guardians are expected to review this handbook, and we will ask for verbal confirmation on Monday that you have read and understood all policies and updates within the handbook.
- All guardians must sign new waiver forms (see attached) and return on Monday morning. No camper will be admitted into camp without a signed waiver. Please bring the signed waiver with you to limit time for sign in. There will be extra copies available.
- New Camp Hours: 9am-4pm
- Pre Camp: 8am-9am
- Post Camp: 4pm-5:30pm
- New Sign In and Out Procedure Highlights
- Maintain physical distancing of 2m, indicated by blue pylons and signage.
- Daily screening for COVID-19 using the BC Self-Assessment Tool – anyone that answers YES to any screening question will not be permitted into camp.
- Limit number of guardians at sign in and out, and do your best to have the same person each day. This limits the amount of direct contacts our team will interact with.
- COVID-19 and Camps: We are currently following the guidelines set out by the BC Centre for Disease Control’s Public Health Guidance for Child Care Settings as well as the guidelines for the Vancouver Aquarium operations, which means there will be many changes to camp this summer.
- New staffing ratio for smaller classroom sizes.
- Brand new games, activities, crafts and experiments.
- No behind the scenes access (includes Marine Mammal Rescue Centre).
- Limited gallery access (Frogs Forever and Underwater Sea Lions only).
- No animal handling or shows/visits.
- Friend Requests: Due to smaller camp capacity and group sizes, we are only able to accommodate a small number of friend requests. All camp group assignments are final, and we will not make any changes on Monday morning.
Join our new Facebook Page! Click here and type in code SeaLion2020 to see all of our camp updates and photos that will be posted each week. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1172632099746638/
Please note: Our office hours are 8:30am-4:30pm Monday through Friday. If you must reach our team, please do so through email to [email protected] and we will do my best to answer in a timely manner.
We are looking forward to the summer :)
The AquaCamps team.